Hearty Country Soup
Loaded with veggies, beef and whole-grain pasta, this nourishing, warming soup is the ultimate chilly-weather meal.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more slow-cooker recipes here!
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 12-oz extra-lean chuck roast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 oz fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 green bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 10 oz grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 oz dry whole-grain rotini or elbow macaroni pasta
- 2 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Mist a 3- to 3½-qt slow cooker with cooking spray. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tsp oil on medium-high. Add roast and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker and add beans, bell peppers, tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, garlic, black pepper and 4 cups water; stir to combine. Cover and cook until roast is tender, 5 hours on high or 10 hours on low.
- Stir in pasta, cabbage, parsley, oregano, thyme, salt and remaining oil; cover and cook for 30 more minutes on high.
- Serving Size 1 cup
- Calories 213
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 25 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 465 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g