Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Fun Fact: According to Emeran Mayer, MD, PhD, if you were to spread your gut out flat, it would have the same surface area as a basketball court.
Good news: The healthful omega-3 fatty acids in wild salmon are correlated with a more diverse microbiome, the collection of bacteria, yeast and other microorganisms living in your gut, according to recent research.
1. Make vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard and honey. Whisking constantly, drizzle in oil until thickened and well combined. Whisk in shallot. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate. (Dressing can be made up to 3 days ahead.)
2. Make salmon cakes: Flake salmon into a medium bowl. Stir in onion and celery until well combined. Stir in flour, parsley, dill, lemon zest, lemon juice, paprika, salt and pepper. Fold in eggs and yogurt. Using a dry 1/3-cup measure, divide mixture into 8 portions and shape into ½-inch- thick patties. Place on a plate, cover and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. (Patties can be refrigerated overnight before cooking.)
3. Place a large rimmed baking sheet in oven and preheat to 400ºF. Remove baking sheet from oven and mist with cooking spray. Arrange patties on hot pan and mist with more cooking spray. Bake until bottoms are golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Turn gently to prevent crumbling and bake until golden on both sides and hot in center, about 15 minutes more.
4. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss together greens, carrot and cucumber. Just before serving, toss salad with 3 tbsp vinaigrette, adding more if desired.
5. Divide salad among plates. Top each with 2 patties, and drizzle each patty with 1 tsp of the remaining vinaigrette. (Reserve any remaining vinaigrette in the refrigerator for another use.)
- Serving Size 2 salmon cakes, 1/4 of salad, about 4 tsp of the dressing
- Calories 333
- Carbohydrate Content 12 g
- Cholesterol Content 120 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 4.5 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 695 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g