Lemon & Herb Kefir Spread
Use gut-friendly kefir in place of cream cheese in spreads.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more delicious recipes here.
- 2 cups whole-milk kefir
- 1 tsp finely chopped preserved lemon, optional
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- ½ tsp lemon zest + 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt (or sea salt)and ground black pepper, to taste
- Pour the kefir into a nut bag. Place the bag in a strainer set inside a bowl. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and refrigerate 16 to 18 hours.
- Discard the whey (clear liquid) in bowl. Transfer strained kefir from bag into a small bowl. Add preserved lemon (if using), thyme, lemon zest and lemon juice and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. (TIP: Nut bags are designed to strain nut milks and can be found in health food stores or online. They work really well for this purpose, but if you can’t find them, use a triple layer of cheesecloth.)
- Serving Size 1/4 cup
- Calories 14
- Carbohydrate Content 1 g
- Cholesterol Content 3 mg
- Fat Content 1 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 20 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g