Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Tip: For even easier prep, skip the grilling and simmer the chicken in the sauce. Or make this dish even more weeknight-friendly by using a store-bought rotisserie chicken: Separate it into pieces, arrange on plates and serve as directed.
Related: 5 Foods That Feed Your Brain
1. In a small bowl, soak chiles in hot water until softened, about 30 minutes. Drain, discarding soaking liquid. Remove and discard stem and seeds. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a large heavy- bottomed saucepan, toast pumpkin and sesame seeds on medium-low, shaking pan almost constantly, until just turning golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from saucepan and set aside. Add 2 tsp oil to pan and heat on medium-high. Add onion and garlic and sauté, stirring often, for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. To saucepan, add coconut sugar, oregano, cumin and cinnamon and cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes more, until just softened.
4. Add broth, chocolate and almond butter to pan. Heat until chocolate is melted. Transfer to a blender or food processor along with pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and chiles; purée until smooth. Return to saucepan and simmer on low for 10 minutes, until sauce is thick and creamy. Season with ½ tsp salt.
5. Meanwhile, lightly grease the grate of a grill and heat on medium- high. Lightly brush chicken with remaining 2 tsp oil and season with remaining ¼ tsp salt and pepper. Add chicken to grill and cook until internal temperature registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and slice.
6. To serve, divide chicken among tortillas or over rice. Pour sauce over chicken, and garnish with toppings of your choice.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 573
- Carbohydrate Content 45.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 78 mg
- Fat Content 29 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 41 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 463 mg
- Sugar Content 3.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 13 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 6 g