Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- In a small saucepan on medium high, combine 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup vinegar, peppercorns, star anise, 1 tbsp maple syrup and salt; bring to a boil. In a small heat-proof bowl, combine carrot, radish and 2 tbsp jalapeño matchsticks. Pour mixture over vegetables and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Meanwhile, prepare ketchup: In a small bowl, combine all ketchup ingredients. Stir until Sucanat dissolves, about 45 to 60 seconds. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Heat a small nonstick skillet on medium and brush with 1/2 tsp oil. Add onion, 1 tbsp minced ginger, garlic and remaining 1/4 tsp minced jalapeño and sauté until just softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and add chicken, lime zest, cilantro, 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp soy sauce and remaining 1 tsp maple syrup; stir until well mixed. Form mixture into 4 3/4-inchthick patties.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium and brush with remaining 2 tsp oil. Cook patties for about 10 minutes, turning halfway, until browned and cooked through. (Alternatively, cook on a greased grill on medium for about 10 minutes, turning once.)
- Top each bun half with ketchup and 1 patty. Drain vegetables, discarding liquid, and divide over top.
- Serving Size 1 burger with toppings
- Calories 270
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 63 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 540 mg
- Sugar Content 10.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g