Pear & Maple French Toast Casserole
Hosting a brunch? Try popping this cardamom- and cinnamon-spiced whole-grain casserole into the slow cooker when you get out of bed – by the time you get dressed and tidy up, it'll be ready!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 8 cups day-old whole-grain bread cubes (about 1 lb)
- 1 tbsp unsalted organic butter
- 1 tbsp organic evaporated cane juice
- 2 pears, cored and cut into ½-inch cubes, plus additional grated pear for garnish
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsweetened raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted pecans
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, optional
- To a 6-qt slow cooker, add bread cubes. In a medium saucepan on medium, melt butter. When butter foams, add cane juice and stir until melted, about 45 seconds. Add pears and cook, stirring until pears are softened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cardamom, cinnamon, raisins and pecans, stirring to combine. Transfer pear mixture to slow cooker and combine with bread cubes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs until combined. Add milk, maple syrup and vanilla, whisking to combine. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread cubes, tossing to coat evenly. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Dollop each serving with yogurt (if using) and sprinkle with grated pear.
- Serving Size 1 cup
- Calories 348
- Carbohydrate Content 50 g
- Cholesterol Content 103 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 299 mg
- Sugar Content 22 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g