Pickled Ginger & Cardamom Carrots
Serve with hummus or a creamy herb dip, or grate the carrots and toss into salads
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
These mild and slightly sweet carrots are a great “gateway pickle” for those who find the strong flavor of kimchi or kraut overwhelming. It’s not necessary to buy organic cabbage for this recipe, as you’re only using the cabbage leaves to form a barrier between the carrots and the weighted jar.
Note: Pickling is a long process! This recipe calls for 7-14 days, so remain patient in the meantime. The end result is worth it!
Learn how to make lacto-fermented veggies here.
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger (peel-on), scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 10 organic carrots (peel on), scrubbed
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 Tbsp. high-quality sea salt (such as Himalayan or Celtic salt)
- 2 small leaves green or purple cabbage
- 2 16-oz wide-mouth glass jars with lids, sterilized
- 2 small glass jars with lids (4-oz or 8-oz), sterilized (NOTE: Jars should be narrow enough to fit inside rims of 16-oz jars.)
- Divide ginger and cardamom among 2 16-oz wide-mouth glass jars. Cut carrots into 3½-inch lengths, halving or quartering thicker lengths and leaving thin lengths whole. Divide carrots among 16-oz jars, packing tightly.
- In a large glass measuring cup, stir together filtered water and salt until salt dissolves. Pour into 16-oz jars, leaving 1-inch headspace between surface of liquid and rim of jars. Arrange cabbage leaves in 16-oz jars over top of carrots. Fill 2 small glass jars with water and seal tightly with lids. Place in 16-oz jars over top of cabbage leaves to keep carrots submerged in liquid.
- Place 16-oz jars in a shallow bowl to catch any overflow and cover with clean tea towels. Let ferment in a cool place away from direct sunlight, pressing down on small jars as needed to keep carrots submerged in liquid, for 7 to 14 days. Remove small jars and discard cabbage leaves. Seal 16-oz jars tightly with lids and refrigerate for up to 12 months.
- Serving Size 4 carrot sticks
- Calories 6
- Carbohydrate Content 1.5 g
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 68 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g