Sausage & Pepper Heroes with Sautéed Kale
You'll save the day when you make these sausage & pepper heroes for your hungry family.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 2.5- to 3-oz all-natural mild or spicy Italian chicken or turkey sausages
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 28-oz jar or box unsalted diced tomatoes, with juices
- 4 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 4 whole-grain sausage rolls or hamburger buns, toasted
- Mist a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium. Add sausages, onion and 1⁄2 tsp pepper flakes and sauté, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add 2 cloves garlic and sauté until fragrant and softened, about 1 minute. Add bell peppers and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and their juices, tomato paste and oregano. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and sausages are cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in basil.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat oil on medium. Add mushrooms and sauté until just softened, about 4 minutes. Add remaining 1⁄2 tsp pepper flakes and 2 cloves garlic and sauté for 1 more minute. Add 1 cup kale and sauté for 2 minutes; repeat with remaining kale, adding in 1-cup increments and cooking for 2 minutes between each addition.
- Divide sausages and pepper mixture among rolls or buns and top each with 1⁄4 cup kale mixture. Serve remaining kale mixture on the side, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size 1 sausage & pepper hero and 1/4 of kale mixture
- Calories 403
- Carbohydrate Content 60 g
- Cholesterol Content 50 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 15 g
- Protein Content 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 556 mg
- Sugar Content 12.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g