Smoked Salmon Burger with Lemon Aioli
Salmon fillets and smoked salmon are combined with dill and other seasonings to make this clean and lean patty stand out. Lemon and herb aioli give this burger an extra lift of flavor.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 10 oz boneless, skinless wild salmon fillets, cut into chunks
- 3 oz wild smoked salmon, cut into chunks
- 1 small yellow onion, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill, divided
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard, divided
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
- Dash hot sauce
- 1/2 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp capers, drained and chopped
- High-heat cooking oil (such as sunflower, safflower or grape seed oil), as needed
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 whole-grain buns, split
- 2 cups spring lettuce mix
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced (TIP: Add red or yellow cherry tomatoes for added "wow" factor.)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- In a food processor, pulse together salmon, yellow onion, 2 cloves garlic, panko, 1 tbsp dill, 2 tsp Dijon, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp pepper and hot sauce until finely chopped; do not over-mix. Shape mixture into 4 1/2-inch-thick patties. Transfer to a large, parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. (NOTE: Mixture will be soft, but will firm up in the refrigerator.)
- Meanwhile, prepare aioli: In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, capers, remaining 1 clove garlic, 2 tbsp dill, 2 tsp Dijon, 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium-high and lightly oil grate with cooking oil. (NOTE: A nonstick grill pan will work here too.) Mist patties on both sides with cooking spray and grill for about 10 minutes, turning halfway, until an instant-read thermometer registers 145˚F when inserted in center. Just before patties are finished cooking, grill buns cut side down until golden brown.
- Divide lettuce, patties, aioli, tomatoes and red onion evenly between buns.
- Serving Size 1 burger
- Calories 384
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 36 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 5.5 g
- Protein Content 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 530 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g