Southwestern Potato Skins
We've taken your classic potato skins and given them a southwestern makeover, using hearty black beans, cilantro and a kick of spicy jalapeño. Both the potatoes and the filling can be made in advance and simply assembled and baked the day of your party.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutritional Bonus: If you skip the deep fryer, potato skins can be loaded with health benefits. They contain immune-boosting vitamin C, muscle-supportive potassium and heart-healthy fiber!
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 8 6-oz potatoes, scrubbed
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 small jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup cooked or BPA-free canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp chile powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and mist with cooking spray. Prick each potato several times with a fork and transfer to sheet. Bake for 50 minutes, turning once. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, mist a large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-low. Add onion and jalapeño and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more, until fragrant. Add tomato, black beans, corn, cumin and chile powder. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 more minutes.
- Preheat broiler to high. Slice each potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out flesh, leaving a 1/4-inch shell, reserving flesh for another use. Place potatoes skin side up on a foil-lined baking sheet. Mist with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Broil for 4 to 5 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
- Remove potatoes from oven, using tongs to carefully flip over. Fill each potato skin with bean mixture and top with cheese, dividing evenly. Return to oven and broil for 4 to 5 minutes more, until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven. Top each with sour cream and sprinkle with scallions and cilantro, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size 2 potato skins
- Calories 104
- Carbohydrate Content 9 g
- Cholesterol Content 18 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 257 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g