Spiced Beef Stew with Parsnips & Beets
Aromatic garam masala and pungent ginger infuse this warming stew. Try serving with whole-wheat naan or baguette.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 3 tbsp white whole-wheat flour (TRY: King Arthur Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour)
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 lb beef chuck (stew meat), trimmed and cut into 1 1/2- to 2-inch pieces
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 small yellow beets, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 parsnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 to 2 small red chiles, thinly sliced, optional
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- In a large heavy stock pot or Dutch oven on medium-high, heat 1 tbsp oil. In a wide, shallow bowl, stir together flour, salt and pepper. Add half of beef to flour mixture and toss to coat evenly. Shake off excess flour and add to pot. Cook until deeply browned, turning meat with tongs every minute or two, 5 to 6 minutes total. Transfer to a medium bowl and repeat with another 1 tbsp oil and remaining half of beef; add to bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium and heat remaining 2 tsp oil in same pot. Add shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add ginger and garam masala and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Add broth; increase heat to high, cover and bring to a boil. Add beef along with any juices. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally (adjust heat as needed to maintain a steady simmer, but without bringing to a full boil).
- Add beets and parsnips; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables and beef are tender, 30 to 35 minutes more. Add peas and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with mint and chiles (if using) and lime wedges on the side.
- Serving Size 2 cups
- Calories 418
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 92 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 38 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 443 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g