Spiced Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Salsa
Don’t be fooled by the simple ingredients in these tacos. Together, the earthy, cumin-spiced chicken, sweet grilled onions and herbaceous salsa taste sensational.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 6-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided (TRY: California Olive Ranch Reserve Miller’s Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 tsp each ground coriander and cumin (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Coriander and Ground Cumin)
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper, divided (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 8 4-inch corn tortillas
- 2 cups fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 large lime, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and roughly chopped
- Preheat a greased grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- Rub chicken with one-quarter of oil, coriander, cumin and one- half of each salt and pepper. Grill chicken, flipping once, until no longer pink inside and internal temperature reaches 165°F, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, brush both sides of onion rounds with another one- quarter of oil. Grill onions, flipping once, until softened and charred, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to cutting board; slice into strips and cover to keep warm.
- Place tortillas on grill and cook, flipping once, until softened and lightly charred, 20 seconds per side. Transfer to a plate and wrap in a clean kitchen towel. (NOTE: Do not overcook tortillas or you’ll end up with chips.)
- To a food processor, add cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, garlic, remaining one-half of oil and remaining one-half of each salt and pepper. Process to a chunky consistency. Add tomato and pulse until chunky.
- Slice or shred chicken and divide among tortillas. Top with grilled onions and salsa.
Related: Sweet Potato & Cod Tacos with Cumin Yogurt
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 217
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 47 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 301 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g