Spinach Pea Soup with Shaved Asparagus
While this soup may seem virtuous with a trifecta of healthful green vegetables, including green peas, baby spinach and asparagus, it tastes anything but. Fragrant herbs and green onions add zing, and a dollop of crème fraîche adds a touch of indulgence to the soup.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
The new bone-builder on the block: Vitamin K – found in abundance in this soup from the spinach and green peas – is mostly known for its role in healthy blood clotting, but it is also a key nutrient for bone health as it works to keep calcium in the bones rather than in blood vessels. Vitamin K has various forms, but K1 is the form found in plant foods.
Swap out the asparagus for zucchini if you prefer; simply slice it thin on a mandoline.
Looking for more Blender Soups?
- 16 oz frozen petite peas, thawed and rinsed (TRY: 365 Everyday Value Organic Petite Frozen Green Peas, No Salt Added)
- 2¼ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach
- 4 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- ½ tsp sea salt + additional to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper + additional to taste
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 thick stalks asparagus, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest + 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
1. In a blender, purée peas, broth, spinach, onions, 1½ tsp tarragon, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. With blender running, add 1 tbsp oil in a steady stream.
2. Transfer soup to a medium saucepan, cover and heat on medium, whisking occasionally, until warmed, about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss asparagus, lemon zest and juice, remaining ½ tsp tarragon and 1 tsp oil; season with additional salt and pepper.
4. Divide soup among bowls; top with crème fraîche and asparagus mixture.
- Serving Size 2 1/2 cups
- Calories 426
- Carbohydrate Content 42 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 19 g
- Fiber Content 13.5 g
- Protein Content 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 618 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g