Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
SWAP THE SQUASH RICE FOR:
- Cauliflower rice
- Rutabaga rice
- Broccoli or romanesco rice
1. Secure squash into a spiral maker and turn crank to create noodles, according to manufacturer’s directions. Working in batches, place on a cutting board and chop into “rice.” Transfer to a large bowl.
2. In a large pot on medium, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add onion and bell pepper, season with ¼ tsp salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, paprika, oregano, pepper flakes and saffron; sauté 1 minute. Pour in tomatoes and 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice.
3. Add mussels to pot, cover, increase heat to medium; cook for 5 minutes, shaking pot occasionally. Uncover and transfer any mussels that have opened to a bowl. Cover and continue to cook, shaking occasionally for about 3 minutes longer, checking every 30 seconds for mussels that have opened and transfer to bowl. Discard any mussels that don’t open. Tent mussels with foil. Reduce heat to low setting; cover.
4. In a large skillet on medium-high, heat remaining 2 tbsp oil. Add chorizo; cook, turning once or twice, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to medium, stir in squash rice and cook, stirring, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. (If using butternut squash rice, cook 7 to 8 minutes, adding 2 tbsp water to prevent sticking.) Season with remaining ½ tsp salt and black pepper.
5. Preheat broiler to high. Using a slotted spoon, transfer tomato mixture from mussels cooking liquid to skillet with rice; fold together to combine. Broil until mixture is golden on top and excess liquid has cooked off, 4 to 5 minutes, watching to prevent burning. Top with mussels and chorizo. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges (if using).
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 477
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 62 mg
- Fat Content 33 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 991 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 19 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g