Triple Chocolate Donuts with Cocoa Date Frosting
With cocoa powder and chocolate chunks folded into the batter and a thick, cocoa-date frosting smeared over top, these donuts don't hold back on chocolatey flavor.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
1½ cups whole-grain spelt flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup almond flour
¼ cup ground flaxseeds
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp sea salt
1½ cups plain unsweetened almond milk
½ cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup grape seed oil
1 cup unsweetened dark chocolate, cut into ¼-inch chunks
2 cups pitted dates
1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ cup cacao nibs
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and mist a 12-count donut pan (3 inches each) with cooking spray.
2. Prepare donuts: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, almond flour, flaxseeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together almond milk, maple syrup and grape seed oil. Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients until combined and there is no more flour visible. Fold in chocolate chunks.
3. Evenly distribute batter into donut pan. Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
4. Meanwhile, prepare frosting: In a food processor, add all frosting ingredients and process until smooth, about 4 minutes, stopping to scrape down sides of processor with a spatula as needed.
5. Remove donuts from pan, flip over and spread 2 heaping tbsp frosting over each donut and sprinkle each with 1 tsp cacao nibs.
- Serving Size 1 donut
- Calories 146
- Carbohydrate Content 52 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 26 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 11 g
- Sodium Content 280 mg
- Sugar Content 24 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7 g