Cheesy Butternut Bake with Almonds & Raisins
Our blend of sweet and savory winter produce is baked to perfection with a cheesy topping to make this Clean eating casserole recipe hearty enough for a budget-friendly weeknight dinner.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Hands-on Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1½ lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into ½-inch cubes
- 1 head cauliflower, stalks removed and discarded
- 1/2 lb carrots, peeled and cut into
- 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 lb green cabbage, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large red pear, thinly sliced
- 1 oz sliced raw unsalted almonds
- 2 oz unsweetened raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mist a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Fill a large saucepan halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add squash, reduce heat to medium-high and simmer for 5 minutes. Add cauliflower and simmer for 5 more minutes. Drain and transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add carrots and cabbage and toss gently.
- In a small bowl, beat egg lightly with a fork. In a medium saucepan, add milk and broth and place on medium-low heat for 3 minutes until simmering. Remove from heat and whisk in egg, pepper, sage and salt. Place on low heat and gradually whisk in cheese, stirring constantly until mostly melted; do not let mixture come to a simmer, so reduce heat if necessary. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spoon squash-cabbage mixture into baking dish and top evenly with pears, gently pressing pear into vegetables so slices lie flat. Spoon cheese mixture over top and sprinkle with almonds and raisins. Transfer to oven and bake for 25 minutes or until pears are lightly browned.
Nutrients per serving (2½ cups): Calories: 395, Total Fat: 11 g, Sat. Fat: 4 g, monounsaturated Fat: 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 63 g, Omega-3s: 100 mg, Omega-6s: 1,240 mg, Fiber: 14 g, Sugars: 21 g, Protein: 19 g, Sodium: 450 mg, Cholesterol: 73 mg