Pan-Seared Tilapia with Avocado Citrus Salsa
Using a back-to-basics approach, Kelsey Nixon combines zesty, tropical flavors to complement the taste of this mild white fish.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 blood orange
- 1/2 cup diced avocado
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 6-oz pieces boneless, skinless tilapia
- Using a paring knife, remove peel and white pith from orange. Over a small bowl, slice orange between membranes to release segments and juice. Discard membrane.
- In a large bowl, combine avocado, onion, chives and lime juice. Add orange segments and juice to mixture; toss gently to blend. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium heavy-bottomed skillet, heat oil on medium-high until hot but not smoking. Reduce heat and sauté tilapia for 3 to 5 minutes per side, until browned and cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Divide tilapia between 2 plates, spoon salsa over top and serve.
Nutrients per 6-oz serving: Calories: 314, Total Fat: 12 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Carbs: 6 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 1 g, Protein: 35 g, Sodium: 152 mg, Cholesterol: 85 mg