Asian-Style Meatloaf with Savory Carrot Slaw
Brushing the meatloaf with a mix of hoisin sauce and ketchup keeps it moist while also adding an extra layer of savory umami flavor.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Brushing the meatloaf with a mix of hoisin sauce and ketchup keeps it from drying out in the oven while also adding an extra layer of savory umami flavor. To prevent the slaw from becoming soggy, toss the veggies with the dressing just before serving. To get this dish on the table quickly on a weeknight, you can shape the meatloaf the night before; cover with plastic wrap, then brush with the glaze and bake the next day.
- 1 slice whole-grain bread
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chile-garlic sa
- uce (TIP: Look for it in the Asian section of most grocery stores or in Asian markets.)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp ketchup (NOTE: Look for all-natural options such as Tessemae’s, or check out our homemade ketchup recipe at cleaneating.com.)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 2 cups shredded savoy cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and mist with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, soak bread in milk. Let stand 5 minutes then tear into very small pieces. Add beef, egg, 4 green onions, garlic, soy sauce, chile-garlic sauce and Worcestershire and mix with your hands until just combined.
- (NOTE: Do not overmix.) Shape into a 6 x 4-inch rectangle on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk together hoisin and ketchup. Brush over top and sides of meatloaf. Bake until an instant-read thermometer reads 160˚F when inserted in center, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, prepare slaw: In a separate large bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil and maple syrup. Add cabbage, carrot, 2 green onions and 2 tbsp cilantro and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 tbsp cilantro over meatloaf. Serve with slaw.
- Serving Size 1/4 of meatloaf and 1/4 cup slaw
- Calories 303
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 123 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 515 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g