Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
One of the best ways to jazz up boneless, skinless chicken breasts is to stuff them. Here, that stuffing is a mixture of tangy goat cheese, peppery arugula and fresh-tasting lemon zest. The mixture seasons the chicken from the inside out and melts beautifully as the chicken cooks, providing a touch of flavorful creaminess with every bite.
For more chicken recipes, click here.
- In a small bowl, mash together the goat cheese and milk until smooth. Add the garlic, arugula, lemon zest and red pepper flakes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- On the thickest side of each chicken breast, cut a deep, 3-inch-long pocket. (Be sure you don’t cut through the other side of the breast.) Using your fingers, stuff the goat cheese mixture into each pocket. Close by pressing the flesh together and secure with a toothpick, if necessary.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium. Have ready a lid that is too small for the pan but that will cover the breasts. Cook the chicken (in batches, if necessary) on one side, uncovered, until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the breasts, season with salt and pepper, and set the small lid on top of the chicken in the pan. Continue to cook until the chicken is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Pour the wine into the pan and scrape up the flavorful brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Cook over medium heat until the wine has reduced by about half, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the sauce is reduced to a glossy syrup, 2 to 3 minutes. Drizzle the reduction over the chicken and serve.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 335
- Carbohydrate Content 2 g
- Cholesterol Content 110 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 45 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 235 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g