Chipotle Cheddar Sweet Potato Muffins
Can't resist a cheesy, savory snack? These muffins are sinfully cheesy and portable, and they won't stain your fingertips orange!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutritional Bonus: A rich source of beta-carotene, sweet potatoes can play a positive role in lung health. Your body converts beta-carotene to vitamin A, which has shown a relationship to a reduced risk of emphysema.
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp chipotle chile powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. In a small saucepot, add potato and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes, until fork-tender. Drain, transfer to a large bowl and mash until smooth. Add buttermilk and stir well to combine. Stir in egg and cheddar and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining ingredients. Sprinkle half of mixture over top of potato mixture and fold in with a rubber spatula. Repeat with remaining flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins, measuring about 3 tbsp per muffin. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm or cool completely before storing. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Serving Size 1 muffin
- Calories 101
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 23 mg
- Fat Content 1 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 287 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g