Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutritional Bonus: Three of our Classic Tacos are stuffed with less than half of the fat and sodium of one traditional ground beef taco, 37% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin C and 45% of your daily need for riboflavin, a B vitamin that prompts the conversion of carbohydrates into energy.
READER RECIPE TESTER
“My husband devoured the Classic Tacos. Once he finished the first two, he asked what kind of meat I used since it was so tender and delicious. He was floored when I told him it was mushrooms and onions! My children were very hesitant to eat them at first, but once we chopped them up into our take on a taco salad, they licked their plates clean. And don’t underestimate the serving size: I barely finished the third and my husband even passed on dessert!”
- In a large, high-sided skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, until begins to soften. Stir in garlic and sauté for 30 more seconds.
- Add mushrooms and cauliflower and stir constantly for 2 minutes, until vegetables start to release water and shrink. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are about half their original size and cauliflower is fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together tomato paste, 1/4 cup water, chile powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Add to mushroom mixture along with corn. Stir to combine, then cover. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Warm tortillas over the flame of a gas stove or in a warm oven. To assemble tacos, fill each tortilla with 1/4 cup mushroom filling. Top with lettuce, avocado, cheese and sour cream, divided evenly.
- Serving Size 3 tacos
- Calories 379
- Carbohydrate Content 58 g
- Cholesterol Content 11 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 394 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g