Crab Cakes with Honeydew-Strawberry Salsa
It's almost too easy to slash fat and calories: Simply cut the floury fillers and mayo-based dips to let the shellfish shine.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 lb crabmeat, drained and picked over for shells
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 4 scallions (white and some green parts), thinly sliced
- Zest 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp salt-free chile or Cajun seasoning blend (TRY: Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp safflower oil, divided
- Lemon wedges for serving, optional
- 1 cup diced honeydew melon
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Pinch sea salt
- Prepare crab cakes: In a large bowl, combine crabmeat, Dijon, panko, parsley, scallions, lemon zest, chile seasoning, paprika, salt, egg and egg white. Gently fold mixture with a rubber spatula to blend.
- To form patties, firmly pack crab mixture into a 1/4-cup measuring cup. Invert crab into your palm and press into the shape of a disk, about 1-inch thick. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining crab mixture, making about 10 patties. Cover patties with plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours to firm up crab cakes.
- Meanwhile prepare salsa: In a medium bowl, combine all salsa ingredients. Stir gently to combine. May be made up to 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill; bring to room temperature before serving.
- Line a plate or baking sheet with parchment paper. Put flour in a wide bowl or pie plate and season with black pepper. Gently dredge each crab cake in flour and transfer to parchment. Add 1 tbsp oil to a large, heavy skillet and heat on medium. Add half of crab cakes and cook until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate or sheet, cover with foil to keep warm and repeat with remaining 1 tbsp oil and crab cakes. Serve immediately with salsa and lemon wedges, if desired!
- Serving Size 2 crab cakes with salsa
- Calories 254
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 122 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 445 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g