Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add plantains to sheet. Melt 1 tbsp coconut oil and toss with plantains. Sprinkle with ¼ tsp salt. Spread in an even layer on sheet. Bake, flipping halfway, until golden brown and crisp around edges, about 25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare quinoa according to package directions, using ¼ tsp salt. Fluff with a fork, cover, and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan on medium, heat remaining 1 tbsp coconut oil. Add bell pepper and onion and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, oregano,
cumin, paprika and cayenne and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beans, 1 cup water and remaining ¼ tsp salt. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Prepare sauce: In a blender, blend all sauce ingredients until smooth. Divide quinoa among bowls. Top with bean mixture, mango, avocado, tomatoes and plantain chips. Drizzle with sauce before serving.
Tip: Use a paring knife to peel the plantains by cutting along the natural ridges and peeling the strips off with your knife.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 631
- Carbohydrate Content 89 g
- Cholesterol Content 3 mg
- Fat Content 29 g
- Fiber Content 18 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 9 g
- Sodium Content 513 mg
- Sugar Content 17 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 15 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g