Best Fish & Chips with Lemon Caper Mayo
Yes, you can fit fish and chips into your clean meal plan! This version boasts a grain-free batter and shallow frying technique in avocado oil. Thinly slicing the potatoes makes for a large serving from just one small potato.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, refrigerate cod and mayo separately and reheat when called for. Store chips in a sealed container at room temperature.
Fish & chips
¾ cup avocado oil
¼ cup tapioca starch, divided
⅓ cup almond flour
2 tbsp cassava flour
¼ tsp sea salt, divided
½ cup sparkling water, or as needed
8 oz skinless cod, cut into 4 pieces
2 red potatoes, very thinly sliced
⅛ tsp smoked paprika
Lemon caper mayo
⅓ cup olive oil mayonnaise
1 tbsp drained and chopped capers
1 tsp lemon zest + 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp dried dill
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1. In a 2-quart pot on high, heat oil to 375°F on a thermometer.
2. Meanwhile, on a plate, place 2 tbsp tapioca starch. In a bowl, whisk together almond flour, cassava flour, remaining 2 tbsp tapioca starch, pinch salt and sparkling water. (Note: Mixture should be consistency of thin pancake batter and it may thicken as it sits. If necessary, thin it with 1 to 2 tbsp more sparkling water.)
3. Dredge cod pieces first in tapioca starch and then dip in batter, letting excess drip off. Fry 2 pieces of cod at a time in hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes, then flip and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Place on a paper towel–lined plate to drain, and repeat with remaining pieces. Sprinkle pieces with pinch salt.
4. Working in 2 batches, fry potatoes in hot oil for 5 minutes, until golden. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel–lined plate. Sprinkle with smoked paprika and ⅛ tsp salt.
5. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine ingredients for Lemon Caper Mayo; serve with cod and chips.
- Serving Size ½ of recipe
- Calories 876
- Carbohydrate Content 61 g
- Cholesterol Content 56 mg
- Fat Content 60 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 653 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 30 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 21 g