This Festive Gingerbread Roll Will Spice Up Any Holiday Get-Together
Liven up any gathering with this gingerbread roll that can be made in advance and refrigerated until guests arrive.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp each ground cinnamon and ginger (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Cinnamon and Ground Ginger)
- 1 tsp ground allspice and nutmeg (TRY: Simply Organic Allspice and Ground Nutmeg)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature, separated
- ¾ cup organic evaporated cane juice (aka organic sugar), divided
- 2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- ¼ cup safflower oil
- ¼ cup plain full-fat yogurt
- 1 cup organic evaporated cane juice (aka organic sugar)
- 8 oz full-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup organic unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp peeled and grated ginger
1. Prepare cake: Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 10 x 15-inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and mist paper with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with an electric hand mixer on medium until soft peaks form, 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually beat in 2 tbsp cane juice and beat until egg whites are glossy and hold stiff peaks, 2 to 3 minutes more. Set aside.
4. In another large bowl, beat yolks on medium until fluffy, 30 seconds to 1 minute. With the beaters running, slowly add remaining cane juice, beating until thickened and pale yellow in color, 2 to 3 minutes. Add molasses, oil and yogurt and beat 1 minute longer. With beaters running still on medium, gradually add flour mixture, scraping down sides if necessary, and beat for 1 minute. Fold egg whites into yolks mixture, one-third at time, until no white streaks remain.
5. Spread batter onto prepared sheet, using an offset spatula to evenly spread over entire baking sheet. Bake until top of cake springs back and a toothpick comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes.
6. Place a towel over cake and top with a wire cooling rack. Using oven mitts, invert cake onto rack and remove baking sheet. Peel off parchment. Starting at short end, slowly roll warm cake and towel into a tight spiral. Set seam side down on rack and let cool completely.
7. Meanwhile, prepare filling: In a high-speed blender, or in a spice grinder working in batches, process cane juice until powdery, 10 to 15 quick pulses. Remove 1 tbsp and set aside. Place remaining powdered sugar in a medium bowl along with cream cheese, butter and ginger. Beat with an electric hand mixer on medium until fluffy, 2 minutes.
8. Unroll cooled cake, spread with icing and roll up. Place on serving tray, cover and chill for 30 minutes, or up to 2 days. Dust with 1 tbsp reserved powdered sugar and decorate with seasonal berries and mint leaves, if desired.
- Serving Size 1/10 of recipe
- Calories 427
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 123 mg
- Fat Content 25 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 12 g
- Sodium Content 261 mg
- Sugar Content 37 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g