Updated Grilled Pimiento Cheese Sandwiches with Cauliflower “Bread”
The low-carb bread holding together these gooey grilled cheeses is a grain-free combination of cauliflower rice and almond flour. This recipe comes without excess carbs – helping to keep insulin levels in check. Plus, cauliflower is rich in dietary fiber that helps keep your body’s fullness signals on point.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
1 12-oz bag frozen cauliflower rice (aka riced cauliflower), thawed
½ tsp sea salt
¼ cup blanched almond flour
1 large egg
¼ tsp garlic powder
¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
2 tbsp avocado oil mayonnaise (Try: Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Mayo)
1½ tbsp minced pimiento peppers
1 tbsp full-fat cream cheese, softened
⅛ tsp ground cayenne pepper or dash hot sauce
⅛ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
1 tbsp organic unsalted butter
1. Prepare bread: Preheat oven to 400ºF; line a large baking sheet with parchment. Line a strainer with a kitchen towel; place cauliflower rice into towel. Sprinkle with salt; let stand 20 minutes to release water, then use towel to wring out cauliflower to remove moisture.
2. To a medium bowl, add dried cauliflower rice, almond flour, egg and garlic powder; mix thoroughly. On prepared sheet, press dough into a 9 x 7-inch rectangle, about ¼ inch thick. Bake until golden and dry, 25 to 30 minutes. Carefully flip and bake until light golden on other side, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Let cool.
3. Prepare pimiento cheese: In a medium bowl, combine cheddar, mayonnaise, pimientos, cream cheese, cayenne, salt and black pepper, mixing thoroughly.
4. Cut cauliflower bread into 4 equal pieces. Divide cheese mixture between 2 bread pieces, spreading evenly; top with remaining bread slices.
5. In a large skillet on medium, melt butter. Add sandwiches and cook 2 to 3 minutes, occasionally pressing down with a spatula, until cheese starts to melt and bread is browned. Carefully flip and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer, until cheese has melted and bread is toasted and golden on other side. Cut each sandwich in half.
- Serving Size 1 sandwich
- Calories 463
- Carbohydrate Content 13 g
- Cholesterol Content 159 mg
- Fat Content 39 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content 13 g
- Sodium Content 813 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 19 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g