Horseradish Salmon & Asparagus
Tender spears of asparagus hug our salmon, and are topped with a tangy, hollandaise-style sauce. We don't mind when some of the creamy condiment runs into our smashed redskins either...
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 lb redskin potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, divided
- 3 tbsp peeled and finely grated fresh horseradish
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 4 4-oz boneless salmon fillets
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and garlic and cook until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine flaxseeds, 1/4 cup parsley, horseradish, garlic powder and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Dip one salmon fillet in egg white, then press top and sides into horseradish mixture. Transfer crusted side up to a foil-lined baking dish. Repeat with remaining fillets. Cover dish with foil and bake until flesh flakes easily when tested with a fork, about 25 minutes.
- Prepare sauce: In a small pot, whisk sauce ingredients. Heat on medium and cook, whisking often, until thick, 10 to 15 minutes; do not boil.
- In a steamer basket set over a pot of gently simmering water, steam asparagus until tender-crisp.
- Heat potatoes on medium-low and add 1/2 cup buttermilk, broth and 1 tsp oil. Mash and stir to desired consistency. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1 tbsp parsley, 1/2 tsp black pepper and salt. Divide potatoes, salmon and asparagus among serving plates. Top asparagus with sauce.
For more about asparagus, check out Everything Asparagus.
- Serving Size 1 salmon fillet, 4 oz potatoes, 7 to 10 asparagus spears, 2 tbsp sauce
- Calories 473
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 121 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 36 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 476 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g