Leek, Potato & Cheddar Soup
All it takes are eight simple ingredients to make a cleaned-up classic that'll warm your bones – and you won't believe it's clean!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only, rinsed and finely sliced into semicircles
- Pinch each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium-high. Add leeks, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until very soft, about 5 minutes. add potatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes soften, 8 to 10 minutes. Add milk and nutmeg, stir and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Using a ladle or large spoon, carefully remove 2 cups soup and transfer to an upright blender; purée until smooth, about 2 minutes. Return purée to saucepan, add cheese and stir just until cheese melts. Ladle into serving bowls, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size 1 cup
- Calories 202
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 6 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 176 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g