Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Love these Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers? Check out more Mexican recipes here.
TOTAL COST: $12.68
COST PER SERVING: $3.17
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. With a paring knife, carefully trim bottoms of peppers so they stand upright; do not cut through flesh. Slice off tops and remove and discard stems; finely chop tops and set aside.
- Carefully insert a paring knife into cavities of peppers and trim away seeds and membranes from insides. Wrap each pepper in foil and arrange upright in an 8-inch square baking dish. Bake until slightly softened, about 20 minutes. Remove from foil and set aside until cooled slightly. Reduce oven heat to 350˚F.
- Meanwhile, in a medium nonstick skillet, heat 1 tsp oil on medium. Add beef and sauté, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove beef from skillet, cover and set aside; keep skillet on medium heat.
- To skillet, add reserved chopped pepper tops, onion, cumin, coriander, salt and chile powder. Sauté, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute. Stir in beans, corn, tomato paste, lime juice and beef. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, for 5 to 6 more minutes.
- Brush bottom of 8-inch square baking dish with remaining 1/2 tsp oil. Stand peppers cavity side up in dish. Spoon beef mixture into peppers, packing tightly. Cover with foil and bake until peppers are tender and filling is heated through, about 35 minutes. Garnish with cilantro (if using).
- Serving Size 1 stuffed bell pepper
- Calories 237
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 62 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 3.5 g
- Protein Content 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 482 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g