Persian-Style Spinach & Herb Sauté with Eggs
Awaken your senses with this aromatic breakfast of fresh parsley, cilantro and dill in a spinach sauté with softly cooked eggs nestled inside. A savory yogurt-saffron topping finishes this delightfully easy dish. Serve with a bowl of walnuts or pomegranates to round out your breakfast.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
A gift from nature, eggs are considered one of the healthiest foods in the world. Egg white is a complete protein source, containing all essential amino acids in the ratios required by the body to build proteins, and the golden yolk contains small amounts of nearly every vitamin and mineral needed
- 1/8 tsp saffron threads
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1/2 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1/2 small bunch fresh dill
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 3 cups frozen spinach
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup full-fat plain yogurt or Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp sumac (Tip: While not a true substitute for citrusy sumac, crushed red pepper flakes and sweet paprika can be used in its place if you can’t find it.)
- To a small, heat-proof bowl, add saffron. Using the back of a small spoon, crush threads until they break apart slightly. Pour boiling water over top to let saffron bloom; set aside to cool.
- Roughly tear the parsley, cilantro and dill, including tender stems.
- To an extra-large skillet on medium, heat oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until very brown with a few crispy pieces, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, turmeric and one-half of salt; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add spinach, fresh herbs, remaining one-half of salt, all of pepper and water. Cook, stirring, until spinach thaws and herbs are wilted and aromatic, about 5 minutes. Add lime juice and cook 30 seconds.
- Using a large spoon, create 4 wells in spinach mixture. Crack an egg into each well and cook, undisturbed, 1 to 2 minutes. Gently stir through eggs to break up the yolks. Spoon yogurt over spinach followed by saffron liquid over top.
- Remove from heat while eggs are still very soft. Sprinkle sumac over top, and garnish with any leftover herbs.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 222
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 191 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 438 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g