Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Mist a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a medium skillet on medium, heat oil. Add leeks and one-half of salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and thyme; cook, stirring, until garlic is light golden, 3 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
3. Using a mandoline or sharp knife, cut potatoes into thin slices (about 1/8 inch thick) and sprinkle with remaining one-half of salt and pepper. Standing potato slices on edge, stack in horizontal rows in prepared baking dish, slipping 1 artichoke slice between potato slices every 1 inch or so. Sprinkle with leek mixture and Gruyère, pressing to ensure some of the cheese gets between potato layers. Drizzle cream over top.
4. Tightly cover dish with foil, place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake until potatoes are tender in center and top is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Remove pan from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with chives.
Tip: Slipping a baking sheet under the pan ensures that you won’t have any cheesy drips on the oven floor to clean up. Plus, the sheet supports the heavy baking dish, making it safer to get out of the oven.
Make Ahead: Make the recipe entirely up to 3 days ahead; cool and refrigerate covered. Bring to room temperature and reheat, covered with foil, at 350°F, removing the foil towards the end of baking time.
- Serving Size 1/10 of recipe
- Calories 350
- Carbohydrate Content 31 g
- Cholesterol Content 67 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 13 g
- Sodium Content 459 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g