Roast Jerk Chicken with Mango Sauce & Collard Greens
Inspired by Jamaican cuisine, in which warming spices are often paired with vibrant fruits, this chicken dinner boasts an irresistible balance of savory and sweet. To easily slice the collard greens, stack the leaves, roll them up into a cylinder and cut crosswise into strips.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 3 tbsp plus 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, divided (TRY: Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 2 tsp raw honey, divided
- 1/4tsp each sea salt, dried thyme, ground allspice and ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 8 bone-in, skinless chicken drumsticks (about 2 lb)
- 1 bunch collard greens, stemmed and cut into 1-inch strips (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 2 strips all-natural turkey bacon (about 2 oz), no added nitrates or nitrites, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup frozen mango cubes, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil; arrange an ovenproof rack over top and mist with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 tsp honey, salt, thyme, allspice, ginger and cayenne. Add chicken and rub with mixture to coat. Arrange on rack on baking sheet and mist with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn chicken and mist with cooking spray. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of chicken reads 165˚F, about 20 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, arrange a steamer basket in a pot set over boiling water. Add collard greens to insert and steam until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, pressing on greens with back of spoon to remove excess liquid. Brush a 10-inch nonstick skillet with oil and heat on medium. Add bacon and sauté, stirring often, until slightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add collard greens, 2 tbsp vinegar and ¾ tsp honey and sauté until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, purée mango with remaining 1 tsp vinegar, ¼ tsp honey and 2 tbsp hot water, scraping down sides of bowl, until smooth, about 1 minute. Serve chicken with mango sauce and collard greens mixture.
- Serving Size 2 drumsticks, 1/4 collard greens mixture, 1 tbsp mango sauce
- Calories 239
- Carbohydrate Content 8.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 163 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 375 mg
- Sugar Content 5.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g