Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Arrange Brussels sprouts on sheet and toss with 2 tbsp oil, ½ tsp salt and pepper. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, until tender and golden.
- Meanwhile, to a large bowl, add shallots, cassava and remaining 1 tsp salt; toss to combine.
- In a large skillet on medium, heat 3 tbsp oil. Drop 1 shallot slice into the pan to make sure it sizzles. Add as many shallot pieces as can fit in the pan without overlapping, cooking in batches if necessary. Turn shallots when golden on the bottom, 5 minutes. Turn and cook until crispy and golden on other side, 5 minutes. Transfer shallots to a paper towel–lined plate, and set aside. (Note: If you do a second batch, wipe out pan and add fresh oil.)
- In a small skillet on medium, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add capers carefully to avoid splatter. Sauté 1 minute, or until they start opening like flower buds. Add garlic and lemon zest; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- To a serving bowl, add Brussels sprouts, caper mixture and lemon juice; toss. Sprinkle with shallots.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 181
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 778 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g