Sirloin Tip Roast with Blue Cheese Sauce
Panko bread crumbs and crushed walnuts join forces with dried herbs to create a crispy, flavorful coating for our roast – in perfect textural contrast to its creamy blue cheese sauce.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutritional Bonus: A serving of this holiday roast supplies 43% of your daily niacin requirement, helping to improve your body’s circulatory system and keeping cholesterol in check. Plus, it offers 72% DV of zinc, which helps stabilize your metabolic rate and ensures your sense of taste functions properly.
- 1/4 cup raw unsalted walnuts
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried marjoram or oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 3-lb sirloin tip roast, trimmed of visible fat
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 5 tbsp buttermilk
- 2 oz low-fat blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 5 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced, white, light green and green parts separated
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse walnuts until finely ground, but not powdery. Add panko, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, salt and 1 tsp pepper. Pulse to combine and transfer mixture to a small bowl.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with a large enough piece of foil to eventually wrap the roast. Place roast on sheet and mist lightly with cooking spray. Pat walnut mixture over entire roast, pressing mixture into roast to adhere. Transfer to oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, reduce temperature to 325 F and wrap foil around roast, sealing tightly. Return to oven and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, until a meat thermometer inserted in center of roast registers 145 F for medium-rare, 160 F for medium or 170 F for well done. Set roast aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Prepare sauce: In the bowl of a food processor or blender, add yogurt, buttermilk, cheese, white and light green parts of scallions, vinegar and 1/4 tsp pepper and blend until combined. Transfer mixture to a serving dish.Slice and serve roast with blue cheese sauce. Garnish sauce with green parts of scallions.
- Serving Size 3 1/2 oz roast beef and 1 1/2 tbsp sauce
- Calories 249
- Carbohydrate Content 5 g
- Cholesterol Content 92 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 34 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 366 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g