Steak & Farfalle Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce
We've chosen to keep it light for this steak pasta recipe with a tomato-based sauce smoothed with sour cream. Top that off with lean steak and lesser-known whole-wheat farfalle pasta, and you've got yourself a deliciously clean dinner sure to please any pasta lover in your family.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Easy, speedy prep and at only $1.17 per serving, There are few boxes this Steak & Farfalle Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce doesn’t check off. The base of this delicious dish is made up of farfalle pasta, otherwise known as bow-tie pasta or butterfly pasta. Atop the pasta bed sits cubed and marinated steak in an herby tomato sauce. In addition to its high protein profile, beef is also chock-full of minerals, such as zinc, iron and phosphorus. Zinc bolsters your immune system. Iron aids your blood’s ability to deliver oxygen to cells. Meanwhile, phosphorus helps keep your bones and teeth strong. You may have noticed that beef makes a frequent appearance in fitness-oriented meal plans. This is because this meat is especially rich in creatine, an organic compound that serves as an excellent source of energy for muscles. This is why you’ll often hear of creatine in dietary conversations around bodybuilding, as it can be beneficial for the growth and upkeep of muscles. Creatine-rich beef, combined with energy-rich farfalle pasta, makes this a perfect dish for the fit foodie.
FULL PRICE $9.34
COST PER SERVING $1.17
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced, divided
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Cinnamon)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- 1 lb lean eye round steak, cubed
- 16 oz whole-wheat farfalle pasta
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 28-oz jar or can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (TRY: Simply Organic Italian Seasoning)
- 1 tsp dried basil (TRY: Simply Organic Basil)
- 8 oz sour cream
- Prepare marinade: In a bowl, whisk together 3 cloves garlic, vinegar, Dijon, cinnamon and pepper. Pour marinade over steak cubes in another container, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (You can also leave steak to marinate overnight.)
- Cook farfalle according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Drain steak cubes and discard marinade. Heat a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over high heat for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-high, mist with cooking spray, and saute steak until browned on each side, about 4 minutes total. Remove steak from pan and set aside.
- Mist same pan with cooking spray again, add onion and remaining 2 cloves garlic and saute until brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and reduce heat to medium low. Add seasoning, basil and sour cream and combine. Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, then mix in reserved steak and cook for 2 more minutes, until meat and sauce are completely warmed.
- Serve 1 cup farfalle with 3/4 cup steak sauce. Garnish with an additional sprinkling of Italian seasoning, if desired.
- Serving Size 1/8 lb lean eye round steak, 1 cup farfalle with 3/4 cup steak sauce
- Calories 380
- Carbohydrate Content 52 g
- Cholesterol Content 45 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 350 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g