This decadent recipe attracted an army of clean-eating enthusiasts - just look at the ooey-gooey buns you get for 145 calories! Freeze a batch for Sunday morning treats.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 cups light spelt flour, plus additional for rolling
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp plus 2 tbsp organic evaporated cane juice, divided
- 2 tsp quick-rise active dry yeast
- 3 tbsp organic unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp Sucanat
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted pecans
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Mist a large bowl with cooking spray; set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, combine flour and salt (do not process yet).
- In a 1-cup measure, combine 1/2 cup lukewarm water and 2 tsp cane juice; stir to dissolve. Sprinkle with yeast and stir until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes, until foamy. With food processor running, add yeast mixture to flour mixture and pulse for 1 to 2 minutes. Once a dough ball forms, process for 1 more minute. Transfer dough to bowl, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. (TIP: Letting dough rise in a warmer spot will yield quicker results.)
- Meanwhile, coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. In a small saucepan or pot, melt 1 1/2 tbsp butter on medium-low heat. Pour butter into bottom of baking pan. Add maple syrup and swirl with a spoon to evenly distribute and combine. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with Sucanat and pecans; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into an 8 x 12-inch rectangle. Spread remaining 1 1/2 tbsp butter over top and sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsp cane juice and cinnamon. Roll dough up lengthwise, pinching along the length of the folded edge to help roll hold its shape. Cut into 12 equal portions. Place each portion into pan, flat side down, evenly spaced and, preferably, not touching. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Remove plastic wrap from pan, transfer to oven and bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven, invert onto a large plate and gently remove pan. Serve warm.
- Serving Size 1 bun
- Calories 145
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 8 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 41 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g