Sweet & Smoky Tofu
With a heady brew of sweet, tart, smoky and spicy flavors, this 15-minute dish takes tofu to a whole new level.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 12-oz pkg organic extra-firm tofu, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup or raw honey
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 16 oz Swiss chard, trimmed and chopped crosswise into 1-inch ribbons
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 oz low-fat feta cheese, crumbled, optional
- Position oven rack in top third of oven and heat broiler on high.
- Line a baking sheet with 2 clean dish towels. Arrange tofu in a single layer on towels and cover with 2 more towels. Top with a second baking sheet and arrange a heavy skillet over top. Set aside for 5 minutes, until excess tofu liquid is released.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk maple syrup, Dijon, 1 tbsp lemon juice, paprika and cayenne. Add tofu to bowl and toss gently to coat. Arrange tofu in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet; reserve remaining Dijon mixture in bowl. Brush half of reserved mixture over top of tofu. Broil on top rack, turning and brushing with remaining mixture halfway through, for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown and slightly crisp.
- Meanwhile, prepare chard: Mist a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add chard, stir once, then add garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes, until wilted. Add remaining 1 tbsp lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve tofu with chard. Garnish chard with cheese (if using).
- Serving Size 1/4 of tofu and 3/4 cup chard
- Calories 136
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.3 g
- Sodium Content 452 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0.3 g