Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup jarred or boxed diced unsalted tomatoes, with juices (TRY:Pomì Chopped Tomatoes)
- 2 lb mussels, debearded and scrubbed (TIP: Before using, tap mussels to check for freshness and discard any that do not close when tapped.)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 8 1/4-inch slices whole-grain baguette, optional
- Heat one side of an outdoor grill on medium-high and remaining side on medium. In a cast iron skillet, heat oil on half of grill set to medium-high. Add onion and sauté, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and pepper flakes and sauté until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Increase heat to high and add wine. Cover grill and cook until wine is almost entirely evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes. Decrease heat to low and stir in tomatoes.
- Add mussels in a single layer directly to medium half of grill.
- If serving with bread, add baguette to upper grill rack. Cover grill and cook for 3 minutes. Open grill, turn baguette and cover. Cook for 2 more minutes, until mussels open. (NOTE: Discard mussels that remain closed.) Transfer mussels to serving bowls and spoon tomato mixture and basil over top. Serve with baguette if desired.
Nutrients per serving (about 10 mussels and 1/4 cup sauce): Calories: 289, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat. 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 14 g, Fiber: 1 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 28 g, Sodium 674 mg, Cholesterol: 64 mg