Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 8 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 16-oz pkg whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1/2 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 small Roma tomato, seeded, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake chicken breast for 15 to 20 minutes, until fully cooked. Meanwhile, steam spinach, garlic and 1 tsp water in a bowl for 2 minutes on high in microwave. When cool, drain excess liquid.
- Cover a flat surface and rolling pin with flour. Divide pizza dough into 4 sections by cutting with a knife. Roll out each section into a circle. Place each section on a baking sheet.
- Mix ricotta cheese and onion together with spinach-garlic mixture.
- To assemble each calzone: Layer 1/4 of ricotta mixture, 1 artichoke heart, 1 tbsp red pepper and 2 oz chicken breast on 1 half of each dough section. Next, sprinkle 1 tbsp tomato and 3 tbsp feta. Be sure to leave 1/4 inch around the perimeter of dough. Fold in half to make a half-moon shape, pinch sides together with water to stick. Brush exterior of dough, on both sides, with oil, gently flipping over calzone to avoid contents ripping through. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until dough is golden and feels crusty to the touch. Let cool for 5 minutes.
Nutrients per calzone: Calories: 580, Total Fat: 11 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Carbs: 81 g, Fiber: 19 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 42 g, Sodium: 670 mg, Cholesterol: 60 mg