Turkish Lahmacun Pizza
A Turkish specialty, this extra-thin crust pizza is made with ground lamb or beef seasoned with fragrant cinnamon, allspice and paprika. After it’s baked, it’s topped with a cool, crisp salad for an all-in-one meal your family will love.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more pizza recipes here.
Hands-on Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups quartered cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 oz extra-lean ground lamb (TIP: If lamb is too adventurous for your family, try substituting with extra-lean ground beef.)
- 3 tbsp tomato purée (aka passata)
- 2 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, plus additional to taste
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
- 1 1-lb pizza crust of your choice (whole-wheat, gluten-free or cauliflower)
- 2 cups thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
- 3/4 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Arrange oven rack in bottom third of oven; preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a food processor, pulse mushrooms, yellow onion and garlic until coarsely ground. Transfer to a large bowl. Add lamb, tomato purée, tomato paste, paprika, cinnamon, allspice, cayenne, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and mix until combined.
- Prepare dough: If using whole wheat dough, roll dough as thin as possible using a rolling pin, about 1/4-inch thick. If using gluten-free dough, press as thin as possible when forming crust, about 1/4-inch thick. If using cauliflower dough, it will be thin enough for this recipe.
- Spread lamb mixture evenly over dough, using your hands to press down. Bake until lamb is cooked through and crust is golden brown; 20 minutes for cauliflower dough and check for doneness after 12 minutes for thin-crust whole-wheat or gluten-free dough. In a medium bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, parsley and lemon juice. Season with additional salt and pepper. If using cauliflower crust, allow to cool for 5 minutes. Top evenly with lettuce mixture.
Nutrients Per Serving (1/8 of pizza with whole-wheat crust): Calories: 127, Total Fat: 4 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 18 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 7 g, Sodium: 258 mg, Cholesterol: 9 mg