Confetti Chickpea Grain Bowls with Lemon Herb Dressing
Chickpeas and an array of colorful veggies combine for a complete meal.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Buying precooked and frozen grains such as brown rice or quinoa makes it easy to add fiber to your meals without cooking them from scratch. Here, they’re tossed with chickpeas and an array of colorful veggies for a complete meal. The recipe makes a little more dressing than you’ll need, so we suggest reserving extras in the fridge for quick weeknight salads and slaws.
Glorious Garbanzos: An excellent source of plant-based protein – especially when combined with grains as they are in this dish – chickpeas are a go-to staple for meatless recipes. Don’t let their carb content deter you from adding them to your eating plan: Unlike their refined counterparts, slow-burning complex carbs help fill you up and keep blood sugar steady, plus their fiber content promotes digestive health.
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp lemon zest + ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp raw honey
¼ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
½ cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
2 cups precooked grain (such as quinoa or brown rice), thawed if frozen
1 15-oz BPA-free can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
2 bell peppers, any color, diced
6 small radishes, diced
1 cup snap peas, sliced on a diagonal
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1. Prepare dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon zest and juice, mustard, honey, salt and pepper. Whisk in parsley and mint.
2. Assemble bowl: To a medium bowl, add grains and chickpeas. Toss in oil and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Divide grain mixture among bowls. Divide bell peppers, radishes, snap peas and onions among bowls. Drizzle each bowl with desired amount of dressing.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 441
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 26 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 395 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 18 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g