Grilled Haddock Tacos with Chipotle Mayo
Meaty haddock meets smoky chipotle sauce in these tasty tacos, but the unsung hero is the quick-pickled cabbage that lends a bit of sour crunchiness and elevates all the other flavors.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- 1 cup finely sliced red cabbage
- 2 tsp organic evaporated cane juice (aka organic cane sugar) (TRY: Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar)
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 lb haddock fillet (or other firm white fish)
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil (TRY: Origin 846 Unfiltered Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 tsp paprika (TRY: Simply Organic Paprika)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- 8 4-inch corn tortillas
- 1 cup diced pineapple
1. Preheat a greased grill or grill pan to medium-high.
2. Prepare pickled cabbage: To a medium glass or ceramic bowl, add cabbage. Sprinkle with cane juice and three-quarters of salt. Massage cabbage to incorporate ingredients, 1 minute. Pour in vinegar; cover loosely and set aside.
3. Prepare mayo: In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, chipotle pepper and lime juice. Set aside.
4. Brush haddock all over with oil; sprinkle with paprika, pepper and remaining one-quarter of salt. Grill fish, flipping once, until opaque and flakes easily, 4 to 5 minutes per side. (TIP: If cooking fish on an outdoor grill, use a grilling basket for easy flipping.)
5. Place tortillas on grill and cook, flipping once, until softened and lightly charred, 20 seconds per side. Transfer to a plate and wrap in a clean kitchen towel. (NOTE: Do not overcook tortillas or you’ll end up with chips.)
6. Break fish into bite-size pieces; divide evenly among tortillas. Top with chipotle mayo, drained pickled cabbage and diced pineapple. (TIP: Transfer any leftover pickled cabbage and brine to a clean jar; refrigerate for up to 1 week. Try it in your next quinoa bowl!)
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 320
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 65 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 633 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 9 g