All your favorite pizza flavors — marinara, cheese and pepperoni — stuffed into a chicken breast for lots of flavor with fewer carbs. Stuff the chicken on your Sunday prep day and then simply grill it when you are ready to eat. Toss some extra veg on the grill to make it a complete meal.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
See Also Prep Once, Grill All Week
- 4 6-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, patted dry
- 1¼ cups marinara sauce, divided
- oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 12 slices uncured pepperoni
- 2 tsp dried basil (TRY: Simply Organic Basil)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano, divided
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
1. Cut each breast through the middle to form a 2- to 3-inch pocket, taking care not to cut all the way through. Spread 1 tbsp sauce on inside of each pocket. Divide mozzarella, pepperoni, basil and ½ tbsp oregano among pockets. Close pocket and use a toothpick to secure. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
The Day Of
2. When ready to cook, preheat grill to medium-high. Pat chicken dry. Brush chicken with oil; season all over with salt, pepper and remaining ½ tbsp oregano.
3. Place remaining 1 cup marinara sauce in a small pan; warm over medium-low heat. Grill chicken until cheese has melted and chicken is cooked through (a thermometer inserted into thickest part of a breast should read 165ºF), 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a cutting board; tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve chicken with warmed marinara on the side.
- Serving Size 1 stuffed breast
- Calories 342
- Carbohydrate Content 8 g
- Cholesterol Content 117 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 42 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 871 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g