Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- Set broiler. Place both peppers, skin side up, on a broiler pan with scallions. Broil until blistered, about 5 minutes. Remove poblano to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow poblano to steam for 10 minutes; remove skin.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine peppers and scallions; pulse until pureed. Add sunflower seeds; pulse to make a paste. Add cilantro, lime juice and oil; pulsing until cilantro is incorporated. Scrape bowl as needed. Remove pesto and reserve.
- Bring 1 1/4 cups water to a boil. Add rice and salt; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove rice from heat and allow to steam for 5 additional minutes, then use a fork to fluff. Add pesto to rice, a little at a time, and continue to toss gently with a fork until combined.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add shrimp, return to a boil, and cook until pink and lightly curled; about 3 minutes. Remove from heat with a slotted spoon. When cool enough to handle, remove shells from shrimp.
- Spoon rice onto large serving platter and place shrimp on top, garnish with additional cilantro. Serve with onion and lime wedges, if desired.
- Serving Size 1 cup
- Calories 336
- Carbohydrate Content 42 g
- Cholesterol Content 53 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 300 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g