Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- Dice 1 1/2 pears and set aside. (NOTE: If making in advance, cover and refrigerate remaining half pear until needed.)
- In a 6-qt stockpot on medium-high, heat oil. Add pumpkin and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Stir in diced pear, sage, allspice, 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add broth, scraping up any browned bits in the pot with a spoon.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until pumpkin and pear are very tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully purée soup. (Alternatively, purée soup in an upright blender, in batches, remove plastic lid in cover and cover top with a kitchen towel to allow steam to escape.)
- Cut remaining half pear into matchsticks. In a medium bowl, combine matchsticks with lemon juice, stirring to coat. Cover matchsticks and set aside in the refrigerator until needed.
- To serve, reheat soup on medium, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Season with additional salt and pepper. Garnish with pear matchsticks.
- Serving Size 1 cup pumpkin & pear soup and 1 tbsp pear matchsticks
- Calories 84
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 168 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g