Scallop & Snow Pea Purses with Orange Miso Sauce
Wrapping the scallops and vegetables in a “purse” of parchment paper means they steam together in the fragrant Asian-inspired sauce. To keep the butcher’s twine from burning in the oven, soak it in water for about 15 minutes before tying the bundles. Serve with brown rice or quinoa.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Also see Lemon Shallot Rubbed Scallops with Lentils & Currant Compote.
- 3 cups snow peas (about 8 oz), trimmed
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1½ tbsp white miso paste
- 1 tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp orange zest, plus 1 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil (NOTE: Toasted sesame oil is also referred to as Asian sesame oil.)
- 1½ tsp rice wine (NOTE: This is also known as Chinese cooking wine or Shaoxing. You can substitute with sake.)
- 1 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 lb bay scallops, patted dry
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (about 2), white and green parts
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Butcher’s twine
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Soak 4 5-inch pieces of butcher’s twine in water.
- Cut 4 15-inch-long pieces of parchment paper. Mound one-quarter each of the snow peas and carrot in center of each piece of parchment. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together miso paste, ginger, orange zest, orange juice, sesame oil, rice wine and soy sauce. Add scallops and toss gently to coat. Spoon one-quarter of the scallop mixture onto each mound of snow pea mixture. Sprinkle with green onions, sesame seeds and pepper.
- Gather up all 4 edges of 1 of the parchment paper pieces to make a packet and tie with 1 piece of soaked butcher’s twine to secure. Repeat with remaining parchment paper and butcher’s twine. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until scallops are opaque throughout and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Serving Size 1 packet
- Calories 161
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 27 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 369 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g