Thai Curry Peanut Chicken Drumsticks
Thrifty chicken drumsticks pick up all the zesty flavors of curry paste, herbs and peanut sauce in this fast/slow curry dish.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
One tablespoon of curry paste will give you a mild, kid-friendly sauce. Add more if you prefer, but keep in mind that spicy ingredients tend to become spicier in the slow cooker.
Among plant-based sources of protein, peanuts rank highly, with roughly 26 grams of protein per 100 g of nuts.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup full-fat coconut milk, stirred
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1–2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (TRY: Madhava Organic Coconut Sugar)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, halved lengthwise
- 5 lime leaves, optional
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- ground black pepper, to taste (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
MAKE IT FAST
1. To the Instant Pot, add onions, coconut milk, vinegar, curry paste, sugar, fish sauce and garlic; whisk together. Add lemongrass, lime leaves (if using) and chicken; stir to coat chicken with sauce. Sprinkle with pepper. Lock on lid and turn valve to Sealing. Set release valve to seal, select Pressure and set to More/High; adjust time to 15 minutes.
2. Turn valve to Venting and then quick-release pressure. Remove lid. Carefully transfer chicken to a serving platter and cover tightly with foil. Discard lemongrass and lime leaves.
3. Stir broccoli and carrots into cooking liquid in pot. Select Sauté and adjust to More/High. Cover with a regular pan lid and simmer, stirring once, until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Press Cancel.
4. Stir peanut butter into cooking liquid. Pour sauce and vegetables over chicken. Sprinkle with cilantro.
MAKE IT SLOW
1. In a 4½- to 7-quart slow cooker, whisk together onions, oconut milk, vinegar, curry paste, sugar, fish sauce, garlic and peanut butter. Add lemongrass, lime leaves (if using) and chicken and stir to coat with sauce. Sprinkle with pepper. Cover and set slow cooker on low for 4 hours.
2. Add vegetables to slow cooker; stir gently. Cover and cook on low until vegetables are crisp-tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour more. Discard lemongrass and lime leaves. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 617
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 217 mg
- Fat Content 34 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 59 g
- Saturated Fat Content 12 g
- Sodium Content 833 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 11 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7 g