Indian Twice- Baked Potatoes with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
Russet potatoes have a dry, starchy flesh that becomes wonderfully fluffy when baked, making them the ideal candidate for these richly spiced twice-baked potatoes. Serrano chiles can be quite hot, so reduce the amount used (or substitute with milder jalapeño) if you prefer this dish to be milder.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 4 large Russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup diced English cucumber
- 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp organic unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp each yellow mustard seeds and ground cumin
- 2 tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 serrano chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup BPA-free canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. With a fork, prick potatoes all over. Bake directly on rack until tender, about 1 hour. Let cool just enough to handle. Halve each potato lengthwise and carefully scoop flesh into a bowl, being careful not to scrape skins. Set potato flesh and skins aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together yogurt, cucumber and 1/8 tsp salt. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter on medium. Add mustard seeds and cook, stirring, until seeds begin to pop, about 1 minute. Add cumin and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add ginger, garlic and chile pepper and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Add potato flesh and buttermilk. With a potato masher, coarsely mash mixture together. Add chickpeas and remaining ½ tsp salt and coarsely mash. Fold in 2 tbsp cilantro. Spoon into potato skins, dividing evenly.
- Preheat broiler to high. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and arrange potatoes, skin side down, on sheet. Broil until filling is golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve with yogurt mixture and sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsp cilantro.
- Serving Size 2 potato halves and 1/4 of yogurt mixture
- Calories 448
- Carbohydrate Content 78 g
- Cholesterol Content 18 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 151 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 443 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g