Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutritional Bonus: Coconut contains medium-chain fatty acids such as lauric acid, which is converted to a substance called monolaurin in the body. Monolaurin has antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, 2 cloves garlic, cumin, cayenne, turmeric and coriander. Add chicken and stir to coat. Cover and set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse together jalapeño, ginger, ¼ cup cilantro and remaining 2 cloves garlic until minced. Add lemon juice and pulse again to combine.
- In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, add chicken and cook for about 6 minutes, turning once, until lightly browned. Remove from skillet and set aside. Reduce heat to medium and add onion to skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes, until softened and lightly browned. Scrape ginger mixture from food processor into skillet with onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn off heat and transfer onion-ginger mixture to food processor along with 1 cup diced tomatoes and broth. Blend until smooth, then return mixture to skillet. Stir in remaining 1 cup tomatoes. Bring to a simmer on medium. Return chicken to skillet, nestling in sauce. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- To skillet, add milk. Increase heat to medium-high and simmer for 5 more minutes, until sauce has thickened slightly. Divide chicken among serving plates and top each with sauce and coconut, dividing evenly. Garnish with additional cilantro.
- Serving Size 1 coconut chicken breast, 1/4 cup sauce, 1/2 tbsp coconut
- Calories 264
- Carbohydrate Content 8 g
- Cholesterol Content 91 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 215 mg
- Sugar Content 4.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g