Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutritional Bonus: Virtually fat free, scallops are packed with iron, protein and vitamin B12, which has been shown to play a role in battling coronary heart disease and stroke. Almonds, on the other hand, add vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps reduce the risk of inflammation, diabetes and heart attacks.
- Combine panko and almonds in a small sauté pan on medium-high heat and toast until both are just golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a blender, add tofu, lemon zest and juice, avocado and 1 tbsp water and process until very smooth, scraping down sides of jar once or twice and stirring as needed. Refrigerate mixture until ready to use.
- Lay scallops out on a small baking pan lined with foil and toss with oil, salt and pepper. Turn on broiler and place baking pan on highest rack in oven, beneath broiler, until scallops are opaque and just cooked through, turning pan once, about 7 minutes.
- Spread 2 tbsp tofu-avocado sauce in a vertical line in center of each wrap. Place a quarter of scallops on top of tofu-avocado sauce, then sprinkle with 1 1/2 tbsp panko-almond mixture. Top with a lettuce leaf. Fold side edges of wrap over filling, gently cut each wrap in half and secure each with a toothpick.
- Place wrap halves on a hot panini press, toothpick-side-up. Press for 2 minutes or according to manufacturer directions to toast. Alternatively, position wrap halves, toothpick-sides-up, on a hot grill pan on medium-high heat. Set a small, heavy saucepan on top of wraps to press them down gently and grill for 2 minutes, until grill marks are visible and wraps are crisp and toasted. Carefully turn wraps over and repeat on other side. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size 2 halves scallop po'boy
- Calories 293
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 19 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 405 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1.5 g